Healthcare Worker Hand Hygiene Practice
- Kuruno N, Kasahara K, Mikasa K. Hand hygiene compliance in a universal gloving setting. AJIC. 2017 Aug;45(8):830-834.
- Doronina O, Jones D, Martello M, Biron A, Tremblay ML. A Systematic Review on the Effectiveness of Interventions to Improve Hand Hygiene Compliance of Nurses in the Hospital Setting. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2017 Mar;49(2):143-152.
- Bingham J, Abell G, Kienast L, et al. Health care worker hand contamination at critical moments in outpatient care settings. AJIC. 2016 Nov 1;44(11):1198-1202.
- Graves N, Page K, Martin E, et al. Cost-Effectiveness of a National Initiative to Improve Hand Hygiene Compliance Using the Outcome of Healthcare Associated Staphylococcus aureus Bacteraemia. PLoS ONE. 2016;11(2):e0148190.
- Luangasanatip N, Hongsuwan M, Limmathurotsakul D, et al. Comparative efficacy of interventions to promote hand hygiene in hospital: systematic review and network meta-analysis. The BMJ. 2015;351:h3728.
- Monnet DL. Hand hygiene practices in healthcare: measure and improve. Euro Surveill. 2012;17(18).
Patient Hand Hygiene Practice
- Rai H, Knighton S, Zabarsky TF, Donskey CJ. A randomized trial to determine the impact of a 5 moments for patient hand hygiene educational intervention on patient hand hygiene. AJIC. 2017 May 1;45(5):551-553.
- McGuckin M, Govednik J. Patient empowerment and hand hygiene, 1997-2012. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2013 Jul;84(3):191-9.
- Cheng VCC, Wong SC, Wong IWY, et al. The challenge of patient empowerment in hand hygiene promotion in health care facilities in Hong Kong. AJIC. 2017;45:562-5.
Hand Hygiene Methods
- Paula H, Hubner N-O, Assadian O, et al. Effect of hand lotion on the effectiveness of hygienic hand antisepsis: Implications for practicing hand hygiene. AJIC. 2017 Aug;45(8):835-838.
- Tschudin-Sutter S, Rotter ML, Frei R, et al. Simplifying the WHO ‘how to hand rub’ technique: three steps are as effective as six—results from an experimental randomized crossover trial. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2017 Jun;23(6):409.e1-409.e4.
- Tanner J, Dumville JC, Norman G, Fortnam M. Surgical hand antisepsis to reduce surgical site infection. Cochrane. 2016 Jan 22.
- Steinmann J, Becker B, Bischoff B, Steinmann E. Alcohol hand rub or soap and water for removal of norovirus from hands – the debate continues. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2015 Dec;91(4):371-372.
- Tuladhar E, Hazeleger WC, Koopmans M, et al. Reducing viral contamination from finger pads: handwashing is more effective than alcohol-based hand disinfectants. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2015 Jul;90(3):226-34.
Use of Technology
- Alhmidi H, Cadnum JL, Piedrahita CT, John AR, Donskey CJ. Evaluation of an automated ultraviolet-C light disinfection device and patient hand hygiene for reduction of pathogen transfer from interactive touchscreen computer kiosks. AJIC. 2017 Nov.
- Srigley JA, Gardam M, Fernie G, Lightfoot D, Lebovic G, Muller MP. Hand hygiene monitoring technology: a systematic review of efficacy. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2015 Jan;89(1):51-60.
- Wars MA, Schweizer ML, Polgreen PM, et al. Automated and electronically assisted hand hygiene monitoring systems: A systematic review. AJIC. 2014 May;42(5):472-478.